Thursday, March 8, 2012

Pinterest Inspired Dinner!!

Starting the new year I had a goal of completing one pinterest project a week. Well when that fell through I decided to try one project a month.... Needless to say I haven't held that goal either!!

But last night I had a surge of energy and I whipped up a great dinner- pinterest inspired! The recipe is Confetti Chicken Pasta, originally from BakeCakery.

I meant to take pics through the process, but I only have pics of the ending product.




Here's the recipe!!!!

CONFETTI CHICKEN PASTA RECIPE

16 oz. of Whole Wheat Penne Pasta (always cook al dente in salt water according to pkg directions)
2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut in 1″ cubes
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
½ c. Onion, diced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 Yellow Bell Pepper, long thin slices (mom uses red, yellow and orange…)
1 c. Broccoli florets
1 c. Asparagus, chopped in 1″ pieces
1 c. Grape tomatoes

Cook your pasta and let it drain. (tip: I always add a bit of olive oil to my pasta water during cooking so the noodles don’t stick together). Sprinkle the chicken breast with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook chicken until done and golden on all sides. Remove and let rest in a large bowl.

Add the remaining olive oil and begin sauteing the onions for 2 min. Add in the garlic and bell pepper and saute another 2 mins. Then toss in any other woody veggies (broccoli, asparagus) saving the tomatoes until the very end.
When everything is cooked, combine the veggies with the chicken in your big bowl. (I’m all about reducing dishes here)

Now its time for the sauce!
Spicy Cream Sauce
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. flour (I used whole wheat)
2 c. half & half
1/4 tsp. of red pepper flakes
1 c. Feta cheese (mom uses Parmesan)

In the same pan you cooked the chicken and veggies in, melt the butter over medium heat. Toss in the flour and stir, cooking 1-2 minutes. (We are making a roux)
Slowly add in the half and half while stirring to prevent any clumps from forming. Sprinkle in the red pepper flakes and allow to simmer until you see boiling action. Stir periodically.
When your sauce begins to thicken and bubble, turn off the heat and add in your cheese. Stir until melty (yes that’s a technical term).

To assemble everything I like to add the pasta first so it gets nice and coated with sauce and then pour the rest of the goodies in. (see photo above). This makes enough for 4 people (or two if you want lunch the next day!)

This is a must try..... I loved and my hubby loved it even more!

1 comment:

The Wallace Family said...

Ab that looks yummy, but it would never fly in my house..Chris would only eat the noodles and probably wouldn't even eat those because they had touched all the other stuff around it! haha oh well I am glad you liked it maybe one day I will make it for Kendall and I! Who am I kidding I will just make it for myself:)